Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Open-air seller of drawings: a lot of nebulous questions!

NO TALKING  SHOP, NO DAILY GRIND. Paris, 2 rue Vivienne. Institut national d’histoire de l’art. The Oval Room, seat 82. Thursday 3 April 2014, thirty-eight minutes past eleven.… And so when the trees of Paris lose their leaves, I shall be a seller of drawings on the  Boulevard Edgar Quinet. That’s what I told myself yesterday as I was day-dreaming and looking at Mr Rain (above). There’s a lot of nebulous questions to be answered as I’ve never in my life sold anything on the street. Not a model of the Eiffel Tower, nor a lily-of-the-valley on the first of May. So it’s up to me to prepare well if I don’t want to risk returning empty-handed from the 14th arrondissement every Sunday. In addition I’m relying on a trip to Italy next week to introduce myself to the art of sales talk on the streets of Rome. To see which ‘works of art’ sell in the open air over there. And at what price. Keep walking!

1 The artists’ street market at Edgar-Quinet, 75014 Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment