Thursday, May 1, 2014

Horror: my American visitors are all called Mr and Mrs Robot!

NO TALKING SHOP, NO DAILY GRIND. Courbevoie, La Chancellerie, 67 avenue Gambetta, building A, 18th floor. Thursday 27 March 2014, fifteen minutes past eight. On the phone to webmaster Thierry Pigot. Awful conversation… I ask him who the American visitors to my site are, and he replies ‘they’re not real humans’, adding ‘they’re search engines, robots… Do you want proof?’ I hear some clicking noises, then he says, ‘the amount of time spent on your site by your Americans is zero seconds!’ Zero seconds! Imagine, someone rings your doorbell. You open the door. There’s no one there. And there’s me proudly keeping track of my ‘visitors’, comparing the statistics provided by Wordpress with those from Google Analytics and Blogspot. All that for zero visitors, zero readers, zero comments. In front of me I can see the red and black faces (see above) that I drew years ago. Time to get back to work. Keep walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment